Monday, July 09, 2007

South County YMCA Triathlon

My new nick name should be pantie...noooo, not that kind! Read on.
Yesterday, I did the South County Tri, lovingly called Soco. It was a 1/4 mile swim in a 50m pool, 11 mile bike on mostly flat, with two rollers and one hill, and a 5k that was 1/2 cross country. It was fun. Herb, Jason Kelly and my primary care doc were the only racers I knew. It was all new faces. I think most of these people were first-timers or Soco is the only race they do all year.
I was in the last heat for the swim because I had signed up very late. So I didn't get in the water til 8:30am. (I was already dreading the heat on the run at that point) I was in a lane with two newbies, who still kicked my butt on the swim. They actually walked through the water at the end and I couldn't catch them swimming. WTF!!?? Could it be because I haven't done ANY swim training this whole season? heh heh...that's prolly why! *chagrined* Anyway, i enjoyed the swim as I always do, so relaxing and slow. hahahaha
The bike was good. Oh, i should say that I forgot my watch, so I had no idea how I was doing on time. Also, i screwed up my bike computer, so I was clueless as to how fast I was going. Since I was so far towards the back of the field, I felt like I was the very last person out there. I was assured later that I wasn't. The bike was on a nice quiet road, surrounded by trees. Very nice and relaxing. Hmm, do you notice a theme here? I don't think races aresupposed to be about relaxing! LOL Going up the one hill didn't seem bad at all, but when i got back to T2, I couldn't control my breathing. I was on the verge of hyperventilating. (pantie) I drank up the rest of my Ultima drink in T2.
As I headed out on the run, I grabbed an Expresso Hammer gel (blehhh...so hot out, raspberry would have been better...or maybe it wouldn't) and my water bottle. I knew it was gonna be a scorcher out there, so I thought bringing the water along was imperative. That run was sunny and hilly. I guess the temps were in the upper 80's, but it felt like 100 to me. I still couldn't stop panting as I went out on the run, so I decided to walk to gain control. Breathing calmed til I ran again, then the panting again. ARG! It was a death march. There was fun, tho, too. As the run went off road and into woods and lake areas, there were enthusiastic YMCA volunteers out there screaming their heads off for me! There were about 3 or 4 sets of them. Some were even doing cheers! How fun is that!? It really helped me pick up the pace. (It was also a little bit shady in that section). The run back to the finish was up hill...trudge, trudge, but when I got to the top, I got a surge and sprinted in (where did that come from?)
It was a pretty fun race overall, and I plan to do it again next year...but I think I will recruit more friends to do it with me.
Herb did REALLY well! He finished in 1:11. I finished in 1:32. Pix coming soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home